A. From a, b, c and d, choose the most suitable word that best completes each of the following sentences
01. Heavy traffic is a ..................... problem in most big cities.
- a. toxic
- ✓b. major
- C. cracked
- d. monsoonal
02. To save the environment, we should reduce all kinds of air and water ..........
- a. peninsulas
- b. reputations
- ✓ c. pollutants
- d. expeditions
03. The man .................... into the building because he was late for work
- a. appealed
- ✓ b. rushed
- d. regarded
04. The public library has got a/an ...................... of books to rea and enjoy.
- ✓ a variety
- b. appreciation
- c. wilderness
- d. habitat
B. Fill in the spaces with the most suitable words from the list below:
assistance / quest / seriously / novelist / regardless
05. He travelled across the continents in his quest for adventure
06. The problem of pollution should be considered seriously in this area
07. My mother needed some assistance while cooking in the kitchen
08. I like to travel in first class regardless of the price
Read the following passage carefully, then answer the questions below
Galileo Galilei was born in Pisa, Italy, in 1564. His family was poor, but Galileo's parents paid for him to go to school. At first Galileo planned to become a doctor, but he changed his mind. He liked a different kind of science—the kind we now call physics. In Galileo's time, not much was known about how objects moved. Centuries earlier, a Greek named Aristotle had written down his ideas about motion. Galileo did experiments that showed how things really moved. For example, Aristotle thought that a heavier object would fall faster than a lighter one of the same size and shape. Then Galileo tested the idea. He dropped two balls from a high tower and discovered that they hit the ground at the same time!
In later years, Galileo became interested in how the stars and planets move. He watched the night sky with a telescope he built himself. Once again, he saw things no one had ever seen before. For example, he saw that the moon was bumpy. Galileo also realized from his observations that the Earth was moving around the sun.
Unfortunately, Galileo's statements got him into trouble. Most people at that time believed that the Earth was at the centre of the universe with the sun travelling around it, but Galileo said it was untrue and was sent to jail. Galileo died in 1642, but his work helped to change the world. He is sometimes called the "father of modern science" because he showed us how important it is to look carefully at things and to test out ideas with experiments.
A. From a, b, c and d, choose the most suitable answer
. The best title for this text would be
- Using the Telescope
- A Great Scientist
- Studying Physics
- Stars and Planet
The underlined word ‘motion' in the 1st paragraph is closest in meaning to
The underlined pronoun 'it' in the 3rd paragraph refers to
. According to the passage, Galileo is the father of modern science because he
- was a Greek scientist
- believed in Aristotle's ideas
- looked at the stars and planets
made careful observations and tested his ideas
. According to the text, both Galileo and Aristotle reached
- no results
- similar results
- different results
- results without experiments
. The writer's main purpose of writing the text is to
- explain the work of a scientist
- show the importance of science
- encourage people to study physics
- tell people to test ideas without experiments
B. Answer the following questions
What was the idea that Galileo tested
A heavier object would fall faster than a lighter one of the same size and shape. He dropped two balls from a high tower and discovered that they hit the ground at the same time
How was Galileo interested in the stars and planets
He watched the night sky with a telescope he built himself
He saw that the moon was bumpy
He realized from his observations that the Earth was moving around the sun
(Any reasonable answer with reference to the passage is accepted.)
A. From a, b, c and d, choose the correct answer
Adel is a hardworking student. He always .................. his lessons regularly
- a. to study
- ✓ b. studies
- c. studied
If I....... more free time, I would visit my friends
- . a. had
- b. have
- ✓c. am having
d. will have
I... basketball tomorrow evening
- a. played
- b. play
- ✓ c. am playing
d. was playing
The man, .................. house is next to us, left quickly
- a. who
- b. which
- ✓d. whose
- c. that
Do as required between brackets
21. ( My brother arrived in Kuwait last night ( Ask a question
When did your brother arrive in Kuwait?
Who arrived in Kuwait last night?
Where did your brother arrive in last night?
22. She goes to bed late every day. (Make negative)
She doesn't go to bed late every day.
23. Amina can write the report easily .(Change into passive)
The report can be written easily (by Amina).