a. Choose the correct answer from a, b, c and d
1. Grandpa............ his job after he had a car accident last year.
- a) inhaled
- b) promised
- c) quitted
2. Our school library has a large ......of books about animal kingdoms
- a) trap
- c) wound
- d) sprinting
3. My younger brother is now perfectly ....of taking care of himself.
- a) separate
- b) capable
- c) humble
4. We have to find a safe way to ..old newspapers instead of burning them.
- a) tug on
- b) plunged in
- c) cool down
- d) dispose of
b. Fill in the spaces with the most suitable words from the list
(exceptionally - amount - instead of risk - pleasure )
5. The last two years were exceptionally difficult for people all over the world.
6. Some people write books for money, while others do it for personal pleasure.
7. The government wants more people to use public transport instead of private cars.
8. The radio had warned us that there was a risk of flooding because of the heavy rain.
Read the following passage carefully, then answer the questions below:
Nowadays, every house produces electronic rubbish (or e-rubbish) such as an old TV or a computer printer, or an out-of-date mobile phone that we no longer need. But, when we throw these everyday items away, not many of us know or even think where these objects are taken to. The American journalist and photographer, Peter Essick, decided to follow this e-rubbish to several different countries around the world.
In particular, Essick found a lot of e-rubbish goes to Ghana. There, he saw mountains of old computers in the local markets. The sellers resell some of them but not much equipment works. Instead, they recycle the broken computers by melting the parts inside. These parts contain a little metal such as gold sometimes. However, this process of recycling is dangerous for the workers because it produces a lot of toxic and killing chemicals.
As a result of his journey, Peter Essick thinks that it's important to stop exporting erubbish. It's bad for the environment and it's bad for people's health, too. Instead, he believes producers need to produce more eco-friendly electronics in the future; in other words, electronic products which you can recycle cheaply, safely and in the country where they were made.
a. Choose the correct answer from a, b, c and d: 9.
The best title for this passage could be:
- a) E-Rubbish
- b) Local Markets
- c) Computer Printers
- d) Eco-friendly Electronics
10. The underlined word toxic in the 2nd paragraph means :
- a) old
- b) long
- c) poisonous
- d) important
11. The underlined pronoun which in the 3rd paragraph refers to:
- a) the future
- b) other words
- c) people's health
- d) electronic products
12. The sellers, in Ghana, resell some of the electronic rubbish or:
- a) reuse them at homes
- b) stop exporting e-rubbish
- c) throw the broken computers away
- d) melt the parts inside the broken computers
13. According to the 3 paragraph, to help the environment, producers should
- a) produce more eco-friendly electronics
- b) sell all the TVs and computers we have
- c) work day and night to sell old computers
- d) recycle the rubbish outside where they were made
14. The purpose of writer in writing the passage is to:
- a) explain how to get more electronic rubbish
- b) compare between old computers and new ones
- c) inform us about how harmful the e-rubbish is
- d) persuade people to buy their devices from the e-rubbish
b. With reference to the passage, answer the following questions:
15. Where does Peter Essick come from?
He comes from America.
16. Why didn't Peter Essick like recycling the electronic devices?
Because recycling electronic devices is dangerous for the workers.) dangerous for the environment/Because recycling electronic devices produces a lot of toxic and killing chemicals
"Any reasonable answer related to the passage is accepted"
a. Choose the correct answers between from a ,b ,c and d:
17. While 1……………. the film, a ball broke the window.
- a) watch
- b) was watching
- c) watched
- d) am watching
18. Sometimes, staying at home is ................ than going out for a walk.
- a) interesting
- b) most interesting
- c) the most interesting
- d) more interesting
19. My brother practiced English on weekends............... he could improve his language
- a) so that
- b) to
- c) in order to
- d) when
20. My father ............ ........... the owner of the factory since 1999.
- a) is being
- b) is
- c) has bee
- d) was
b. Do as shown between brackets:
19. My friend has lived in this street since he was born .(Ask a question)
How long has your friend lived in this street?
Where has your friend lived since he was born?
20. The tomato soup was delicious. The rice was delicious too .(Join using: as...... as)
The tomato soup was as delicious as the rice.