a) Choose the correct answer from a, b, c and d:
1. Ali began a new training ........... ....... which contains aerobic and resistance exercises
- a. regimen (U1)
- b. wage (U3)
- c. trap (U3)
- d. wound (U4)
2. Athletes need a/an .................... amount of protein to build their bodies.
- a. adequate (U1)
- b. flexible (U1)
- C. strict (U1)
- d. compelled (U4)
3. I enjoy watching the ducks when they .................... on the river.
- a. promise (UI)
- b. employ (U3)
- c. inhale (U3)
- d. float (U3)
4. We should .......... .......... wash our hands in order not to catch infections.
- a. extremely (U1)
- b. frequently (U2)
- c. unfairly (U3)
- d. exceptionally (U4)
b) Fill in the spaces with the most suitable word from the list below:
(community(U4)/ bargain(U5)/ equator(U5)/glow(U5)/ quit(U4)
5. We went bargain hunting in the Al-Mubarakiya Market. The prices were very low.
6. The local community was happy with the opening of the new mall in town.
7. Countries found on or close to the equator are wet and warm all year round.
8. The Island is surrounded by white sands that seem to glow in the dark.
Read the following text carefully then answer the question below:
It's not hard to see why cheeseburgers, fries, pizza, and ice cream are popular. They're delicious! But not everything that tastes good is good for you. The next time you want to enjoy a snack, you may consider smart snack choices.
Nearly everyone loves french fries made from potatoes. Did you know that other root vegetables taste great, too? Root vegetables can be a good and healthier choice for a smart snack. They include beets, carrots, and sweet potatoes. Root vegetables are easy to grow. They need loose soil and cool weather. They contain important vitamins and minerals, and they can all do the jobs a potato can do. Carrots are satisfying and crunchy if they are raw. Cooked beets and sweet potatoes are flavorful. To enjoy these vegetables, you need to peel their skin with a knife and cut them into strips, just like fries. They can be served hot or cold in a variety of dishes from sandwiches to salads and even juices. When we cook beets and sweet potatoes, they become sweeter. Give them a try! You'll forget all about french fries.
Discovering new foods can be fun. Plus, if you eat healthful foods, you'll be less likely to get sick. You'll also have more energy to run and play. You will also be able to think more clearly and for longer periods of time. So start eating smart snacks! (Word count 234)
a Choose the correct answer from a, b, c and d:
9. What is the best title for this text?
- a. Delicious Food
- c. Fried Potatoes
- b. Smart Snacks
- d. Fast Food
10. The underlined word peel in the 2nd paragraph is close in meaning to:
- a. cover
- b. remove
- c. give
- d. taste
11. The underlined pronoun They in the 2nd paragraph refers to:
- a. beets & sweet potatoes
- b. carrots
- c. vitamins
- d. foods
12. Cooked beets and sweet potatoes are:
- a. unhealthy foods
- c. not delicious snacks
- b. not full of flavors
- d. smart snacks
13.Root vegetables contain:
- a. pizza and ice-cream
- c. vitamins and minerals
- b. cheeseburgers and fries
- d. juice and salad
14. The writer's purpose of writing this text is to:
- a. inform the reader about healthy foods
- b. persuade the readers to eat crunchy food
- c. teach us how to make cheeseburgers
- d. describe the stages of making pizza
b) With reference to the passage, answer the following questions:
15. Why are cheeseburgers, fries, and pizza popular?
They are popular because they are delicious.
16. What do root vegetables need to grow?
They need loose soil and cool weather.
a) Choose the correct answer from a, b, c and d
17. ................. is my favourite hobby. I have got a countless collection of recipes. (U1)
- a. cook
- b. cooks
- C. cooked
- d. cooking
18. I have been fond of football ..... I was nine years old.
- a. since
- b. for
- ..... (U3) c. while
- d. when
19. Our teacher always .................. us to do our homework in time. (U1)
- a. advise
- b. advises
- c. advised
- d. advising
20. Sometimes, going to the beach is .....than visiting historical places. (U5)
- a. interesting
- c. the most interesting
- b. more interesting
- d. interested
b) Do as required between brackets
21. Ali kept practising karate. He could improve his combat skills. (Join with: so that)
Ali kept practising karate so that he could improve his combat skills. (U2)
22. While I (walk) along the road, it started to rain .(Correct the verb)
While I was walking along the beach, it started to rain. (U4)
23. They opened a new school in the area .(Change into passive)
A new school was opened in the area. (U4)