A. From a, b, c and d, choose the most suitable word that best completes each of the following sentences:
01. My mother .....................to make me a big celebration on my birthday.
02. Students are not allowed to sit in .....................inside classes these days.
03. My grandfather is .......................of reading and speaking fluent English.
04. The patient faced a time of ........ ...........before the surgery. Now he is good
B. Fill in the spaces with the most suitable words from the list below::
incredibly / glow / frequently / hire / overcome
05. Businessmen travel ... frequently... to attend business meetings abroad.
06. A clever man should always find new ways to ...overcome... problems.
07. During summer, stars ...glow... better in a clear sky in the dark night.
08. The mountain was so....incredibly...high that we couldn't climb to its top.
- Read the following passage carefully, then answer the questions below:
People often have to use a vehicle of some kind to travel great distances. Some people now use bicycles, motorbikes, or cars. A car has an engine called a combustion engine. That means it gets the power to move by burning gas or petrol as fuel. The car runs on tyres filled with air. Most people however probably travel by buses that also have combustion engines like cars. However, vehicles, like cars, with combustion engines burning fuel, give off gases that are dangerous for your health. They pollute the air and create a risk for us.
In most countries now, there are electric trains which use electricity and do not pollute the air. They go at great speeds on their rails. In some countries, they go almost as fast as some planes. Ships and boats have propellers to move them. A propeller causes a ship or aircraft to move, it consists of two or more blades that spin at high speed. The propellers turn very fast in the water and that pushes the ship. A rudder, like the tail of a fish, is used to guide it.
Some planes use propellers that turn in the air. However, most planes have jet engines. They push the plane with great force. If you go to an airport where the planes land you can see the jet engines on the wings of the plane, though on some planes they are near the tail.
A. From a, b, c and d, choose the most suitable answer:
09. Which of the following is the best title of the text?
b- Propeller Blades
c- Vehicles Nowadays
10. The Opposite of the underlined word "pollute” in the 1st paragraph is:
11. The underlined word they” in the 2nd paragraph refers to:
c- great speeds
d- electric trains
12. What makes electric trains fit for a clean environment?
a- They run using electricity.
b- They have combustion engines.
C- They need fuel to run fast on their rails.
d- They use propellers and tyres filled with air.
13. According to the text, which of the following sentences is NOT TRUE?
a-Cars use combustion engines to move.
b-Cars burn gas in the engine to move.
C-Cars with combustion engines pollute the air.
d-Cars with combustion engines use rails to run fast.
14. What is the writer's purpose of writing this text?
a-To show us how combustion engines cause pollution
b- To tell us about the various types of vehicles people use
c-To compare between travelling nowadays and in the past
d-To advise us to travel long distances by cars or on motorbikes
A. From a ,b, c, and d, choose the correct answer:
17. It is important to.... keep ....your room tidy and clean.
18. Yesterday, while I ...was walking... I met an old friend.
b. was walking
c. have walked
19. The doctor ... is making....a surgery at the moment. Wait for him, please!
a. is making
c. has made
20. This is a funny story. It is...the best....story I have ever read.
a. as good as
c. the best
B. Do as required between brackets:
21. The report is very good. It deserves a full mark. (Join using: so...that)
The report is so good that it deserves a full mark.
22. The government built many schools last year. (Make passive)
Many schools were built (by the government) last year.
23. He has lived in Kuwait for 10 years .(Ask a question)
How long has he lived in Kuwait? Who has lived in Kuwait for 10 years?
Where has he lived for 10 years?